1/2 of a winter squash like turban, butternut or other available squash
1 medium red onion chopped
3 fat cloves of garlic
1/3 or a large daikon peeled
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 400ml can of full fat coconut milk
800 ml of water or chicken stock
1 tablespoon Turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Unrefined sea salt to taste
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1 inch piece of fresh ginger chopped
2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Toasted squash seeds
1. Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Cut half the squash in to thick wedges and peel with a vegetable peeler. Keep the dark green skin under the outer surface skin intact as it is nutrient rich!
2. Put the onion and garlic in a pan with the olive oil and sweat without colour. Peel and dice the daikon and carrot add to the pot with the squash wedges. Top with coconut milk water or stock and the spices. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil than turn down to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
3. While the soup is simmering. Season the squash seeds with salt and pepper and bake in a preheated oven at 160 C till slightly coloured and dry.
4. When the vegetables are soft blend the soup with a hand blender or work it in a food processor or what ever you have to hand!
5. To serve pour into a bowl and drizzle with some milk kefir for sourness and a helping of probiotics for your gut. Than sprinkle with some chilli pepper and the toasted squash seeds.